Switzerland's Sum Of R exists since 2008 and was created by Reto Mäder (URAL UMBO, RM74) to construct/deconstruct sound in ways that infest and cloud the interior of the mind. Sum Of R creates slow moving instrumental music with a sensibility for hypnotic and complex song structures.
Their intense and pulsating sound is influenced by drone, post-metal, ambient, noiserock, psychedelic and cinematic post-rock. Sum Of R’s ritualistic take on expanding sound layers is deepened by the rawness of an unconventional metal atmosphere plunged into darkness, light and its reflection.
Their live performances as a duo are characterized by a cyclical process involving bass guitars, drums, effects, samples and drones to create a unique and dense whole which is more than the sum of its parts.
Sum of R's self-titled debut album was released in 2008 on Milwaukee-based independent label Utech Records (Home of Locrian, Aluk Todolo, Horseback, Nadja, James Plotkin, Mamiffer, House of Low Culture). Following 2012 EP "Ride out the Waves" on Italian label Storm As He Walks and contributions on two compilations alongside bands like Sonic Youth, Sunn O))), Carla Bozulich, Master Musicians Of Bukakke, Menace Ruine, Aluk Todolo; Sum of R's second full-length "Lights on Water" has been released in December 2013 on Utech Records and self-released in February 2014.
LIVE LINE UP 2017:
Reto Mäder: Guitar, drones, effects
Fabio Costa: Drums, percussion, effects
- Sum Of R "Lights On Water" / LP & CD, 2013/14, Utech Records (USA) & Sum Of R (SUI) URLP085, URCD085/SUM01
- Sum Of R "Sum Of R" / CD, 2008, Utech Records (USA) URCD025
- Sum Of R "Ride Out The Waves" / LP, 2012, A Storm As He Walks Records (IT) SAHW001
- V.A "Black Mass Rising" / 3x LP, 2012, Black Mass Rising (FR) BMR 2
- V.A "Does Your Cat Know My Dog?" / LP, 2010, Three:four Records (SUI) TFR004